“Investor” means a foreign national who
- has business experience;
- has a legally obtained net worth of at least $1,600,000; and
- Indicate in writing to an officer that they intend to make or have made an investment.
- Investment- investment” means, in respect of an investor, a sum of $800,000 that in the case of an investor other than an investor selected by a province, is paid by the investor to the agent for allocation to all approved funds in existence as of the date the allocation period begins and that is not refundable during the period beginning on the day a permanent resident visa is issued to the investor and ending at the end of the allocation period; and in the case of an investor selected by a province, is invested by the investor in accordance with an investment proposal within the meaning of the laws of the province and is not refundable for a period of at least five years, as calculated in accordance with the laws of the province.
NOTE- under investor class, there is no requirement to start a business but only the investment is required. Applicant is required to invest with federal govt. a sum of $ 800,000 for 5 years, which will be returned to him without any interest after 5 years. Applicant must have a net worth (legally earned) of $1,600,000
Option provided by financial institutes– In Canada, some financial institutes provides an offer to make a down payment instead of giving $ 800,000 to the government. The financial institute will provide loan to the Government on your behalf for five years, but you will not get any refund of down payment
Business experience-business experience” , in respect of
- An investor, other than an investor selected by a province, means a minimum of two years of experience consisting of
- two one-year periods of experience in the management of a qualifying business and control of a percentage of equity of the qualifying business during the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a determination is made in respect of the application,
- two one-year periods of experience in the management of at least five full-time job equivalents per year in a business during the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a determination is made in respect of the application, or
- a combination of a one-year period of experience described in subparagraph (i) and a one-year period of experience described in subparagraph
Simple way to understand the eligibility
For the applicant’s business experience to count, it must have been accumulated within at least two years in the five-year period before the date of application or decision.The investor’s role in the business must have been either:
- Management and control of a percentage of the equity of the qualifying business as shown in the following table.
|Attribute||Percentage of equity controlled by applicant|
|Total Annual Sales ($)|
|Annual Net Income($)|
|Net Assets at Year-End|
The investor must provide documentary evidence for at least two attributes out of four
- management of five full-time job equivalents (each job equivalent is 1,950 hours of paid employment per year). The management experience must be in business.
Minimum points- The Minister fix and make available to the public the minimum number of points required of an investor, on the basis of
- the number of applications made by members of the investor class currently being processed;
- the number of investors projected to become permanent residents according to the report to Parliament and
- the potential, taking into account economic and other relevant factors, for the establishment of investors in Canada.
You need minimum 35 points to qualify under this program
Maximum =35 POINTS
Five years business experience -35
Four years business experience -30
Three years business experience- 25
Two years business experience- 20
* within five years preceding date of application. Any additional experience gained in the period prior to selection decision is to be counted.
Business exploration trip to Canada within 5 years of application- 6 points
Participation in designated joint federal-provincial business immigration initiatives-6 points
Age– Maximum 10 points
Education-Maximum 25 points
Language-Maximum 24 points
Province of Quebec also offer similar program. For more information, please contact our office.